Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Petra Collins went to the Rosedale Heights School of the Arts in downtown Toronto.
She then got enrolled at the Ontario College of Art and Design, where she studied criticism and curatorial practice. However, she didn’t complete her studies in college and dropped out after two years.
Fashion photography, artist, fashion design, director
- Father – Ian Collins (Former Criminal Lawyer and also ran a socks and pantyhose shop)
- Mother – A Hungarian refugee.
- Siblings – Anna Collins (Younger Sister) (Joined teacher training program at Canada’s National Ballet School)
Zack and Jacob from Lighthouse Management.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
59 kg or 130 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
- At the age of 16, she got in a relationship with a 35-year-old man. In fact, she lived with him for last two years of her high school. Their relationship lasted for about 4 years.
- As of February 2017 and as per her interview with Forbes, she was in a relationship with an unidentified man. She had met him at the Paul’s Baby Grand at the ROXY Hotel in New York City.
Race / Ethnicity
On her father’s side, she has British and Canadian ancestry, while on her mother’s side, she is of Hungarian descent.
- Curly hair
- Mole above her lips
35-26-34 in or 89-66-86 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
Petra Collins has done modeling work for
- Gucci (print ad)
- Calvin Klein
Best Known For
- Having clicked promotional campaigns for the leading brands including Adidas, Gucci, and Nordstrom.
- Having photographed some of the A-lister celebrities such as Bella Hadid and Kim Kardashian.
- Being one of the most outspoken campaigners for the end of taboo associated with female sexuality.
She is yet to make an appearance in a theatrical film.
First TV Show
From 2014 to 2015, Petra appeared in 4 episodes of the comedy-drama TV series, Transparent.
Petra Collins Favorite Things
- Photographers – Cindy Sherman and Nan Goldin
- Film Director – Wim Wenders
- Film – Paris, Texas
- Inspiration – Rihanna
- Fashion Designers – Julia Baylis, Meadham Kirchhoff, Mayan Toledano
Source – Oyster Mag, Vice
Petra Collins Facts
- She had a difficult childhood as her mother was diagnosed with bipolar disease and her father battled illness and financial problems. Apparently, her father had become bankrupt after people stopped wearing pantyhose.
- While growing up, she was diagnosed with severe dyslexia due to which she had to pull out of reading and math lessons in grade school. In her puberty, she developed an eating disorder as well.
- While growing up, she was very passionate about ballet but had to give it up at the age of 14 after she dislocated her knee.
- Her breakthrough photograph featured three of her sister’s friends sitting on the bed and talking while one of them smoked. She had clicked that picture with a 35-millimeter film camera, which she had borrowed from school.
- When she started out, Ryan McGinley was her inspiration. She finally got to meet him in 2013 at a gay bar in Toronto. He later made her one of his models.
- In 2013, she curated an art show called Gynolandscape and managed to persuade American Apparel to sponsor it and in return, she designed a t-shirt for them, which featured menstruating v*gina, leading to a major controversy.
- She was kicked off Instagram after she posted a self-portrait photograph that showed a hint of pubic hair. The incident led to a huge debate on censorship rules.
- In 2011, she started a website titled The Ardorous (theardorous.com), which is an online collective that features talented female artists and gives them an exclusive opportunity to showcase their work.
- Early in her career, she had created a fake email address, using which she used to communicate as her manager. She used this hack to get more respect and get better projects.
- After dropping out of college, she packed two suitcases of negatives and moved to New York City for better career opportunities.
- In June 2015, Petra published her art book, Babe, which along with her work also featured works of over 30 photographers.
- Not only she uses her social media accounts to promote her work, she uses social media to scout for her muses (models).
- Visit her official website @ petracollins.com.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook.