|RJ Cyler Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||March 21, 1995|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
RJ Cyler is an American actor and producer who is known for having been cast in a variety of movies such as Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Second Chances, Power Rangers, War Machine, White Boy Rick, Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, The Harder They Fall, Emergency, R#J, Freedom’s Path, and Everything, Everything. RJ Cyler has also played various roles in television shows like playing Deion Elliot/Marcus Elliot in the anthology slasher series Scream: Resurrection, Adam Proteau in the Showtime comedy-drama series I’m Dying Up Here, Jones in the superhero horror series Swamp Thing, Lamont in the comedy series Rap Sh!t, Todd Green in The CW superhero drama series Black Lightning, and Luke Brown in the dark comedy series Vice Principals.
Ronald Cyler II
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
- Father – Ronald Cyler (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Katina Cyler (Cook)
- Siblings – Broderick Cyler (Older Brother), Steven Cyler (Older Brother)
- Others – Diane Cyler (Paternal Grandmother), Sanford Anderson Stephens (Maternal Grandfather), Gertrude Juanita Jones (Maternal Grandmother)
RJ Cyler has been represented by JLA Talent Agency, West Hollywood, California, United States.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
RJ Cyler is of African-American descent.
Short cropped hairstyle
In 2016, RJ Cyler was seen in an anti-smoking ad by FDA.
Best Known For
- Having played the main role in the comedy-drama movie, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015).
- Being cast as Billy Cranston or Blue Ranger in the superhero movie, Power Rangers (2017).
He was first seen in the short film Second Chances in 2013 for his role as R. J.
However, his first feature film was Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in 2015.
First TV Show
In 2016, RJ was seen in 3 episodes of the comedy series, Vice Principals as Luke Brown.
RJ took martial arts training in Los Angeles to prepare for his role in Power Rangers. His training included learning fighting skills, practicing fighting sequences, and grueling workouts, which ensured that he would be physically ready to withstand the challenging and rigorous requirements of the shooting.
As part of his gym workouts, he focused on lifting heavy weights that helped him pack on lean muscle mass.
He complemented his workout regime with the protein-based healthy diet plan.
RJ Cyler Favorite Things
- Film – Midnight Cowboy (1969)
- Band – Arctic Monkeys
- Music Artists – Taylor Swift
- DJ – Grandmaster Flash
- Actors – Martin Lawrence, Al Pacino, Will Smith
Source – Interview Magazine, The Source
RJ Cyler Facts
- In 2017, Forbes magazine included him in the 8th position in the “30 Under 30” list for the Hollywood and Entertainment section.
- He had an interest in entertainment from a very young age and by the age of 12, he had formed a dance group, Takes Christ 2 Change with his brother Broderick.
- While studying in middle and high school, he was a member of the music group, The Crew. He used to make mixes for the group.
- Although he continues to build his promising career, he wasn’t good in drama classes while studying in high school. He had to enlist the help of his high school crush to get through drama classes.
- He had an embarrassing experience at the audition for a Nike commercial. While performing karaoke steps at the audition, he passed gas in front of other participants and casting judges.
- When his representative agency arranged an audition for I’m Dying Up Here, Cyler had wrongly assumed that it was another regular, slapstick comedy show. He later realized the depth and complexity of the story.
- To prepare for his role in I’m Dying Up Here, he watched a lot of Eddie Murphy’s movies and shows. He also analyzed Richard Pryor’s performances.
- As part of his preparation for the role of Adam Proteau, the show’s comedy consultant took him to Marty’s Comedy Club and asked him to perform on stage so that he could get the feel of his role.
- Cyler’s family was asked to move to Los Angeles by his mentor at an acting camp. In February 2013, they decided to heed his mentor’s advice, and Cyler along with his mother moved to LA followed by his father and one brother.
- Alongside Thomas Mann, Olivia Cooke, Nick Offerman, Molly Shannon, Jon Bernthal, and Connie Britton, he co-starred as Earl Jackson in the 2015 comedy-drama film Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. This role got him nominated for a San Diego Film Critics Society Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category and a Critics’ Choice Movie Award in the “Best Young Performer” category.
- His family found a place to live in LA just a short time before he bagged a role in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. They were homeless before that.
- While growing up, he used to play drums at the church. He had taken lessons from his godmother and also learned how to play the piano.
- He got into acting after listening to a radio commercial about an actor’s camp in Orlando. His father wasn’t sure about it but his mother convinced him about it.
- Along with Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, Becky G, Ludi Lin, Bill Hader, Bryan Cranston, and Elizabeth Banks, he co-starred as Billy Cranston/Blue Ranger (a loner with high-functioning autism who is a target of frequent harassment by fellow student Colt Wallace) in the 2017 superhero film Power Rangers. For this performance, he was nominated for a Teen Choice Award for “Choice Scene Stealer”.
- He co-starred as Sean in the 2022 comedy-drama thriller film Emergency.