|Jane Zhang Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 11, 1984|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Jane Zhang is a Chinese singer, songwriter, and record producer who has been nicknamed the “Dolphin Princess” due to her signature whistle register. She started performing as a teenager and has since released a number of albums, extended plays, and songs such as The One, [email protected], Grateful, Reform, Dear Jane, Believe in Jane, Update, Don’t Spare the Time, The Seventh Sense, Past Progressive, Change Your World (with Tiësto), Adam and Eve, 808, Dust My Shoulders Off (ft. Timbaland), Work for It, and Jane, Love.
Jane Zhang, Dolphin Princess
Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Jane Zhang enrolled at Sichuan University Foreign Language College for undergraduate studies in 2003 and majored in the English language.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Zhang Huaqing (张华清) (Long-distance Truck Driver)
- Mother – Zhang Guiying (张桂英) (Department-store Assistant)
Pop, R&B, Jazz, Electropop, Dance-pop, World, Classical, China style
Huayi, Universal, Sony, Show City Times, Jane Zhang Studio
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jane Zhang has dated –
- Michael Feng Ke (冯柯) – In July 2015, she made her 12-year relationship with Michael Feng (CEO of Show City Times) public at the Hunan concert of the 2015 Bang the World Tour. The duo got married in Italy in November 2016 but eventually divorced in April 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Jane Zhang is of Chinese descent.
- Her signature whistle register
- Charming smile
Jane Zhang Facts
- She was in school when she took the English name “Jane” and later stated in an interview that she had “always liked the novel Jane Eyre“.
- In an interview, she revealed that “her parents divorced early [though she] did not realize the secret until years later”.
- Growing up, Jane Zhang used to listen to artists such as Teresa Teng, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Beyoncé, Rihanna, and P!nk.
- She has credited American singer-songwriter Mariah Carey as her most significant musical influence.
- Jane Zhang was 15 years old when her father passed away. Later, her mother was laid off from her job and then Jane Zhang started singing at a public bar in order to help support the family.
- Her career as a singer started when she came in 3rd at the Chinese singing contest called Super Girl in 2005.
- She signed with Huayi Music in 2006.
- On October 11, 2006, she released her debut studio album titled The One and it included songs like This Damned Thing Called Love, If We Keep Loving, Body Language, Take It Like a Man, Private Matter, and Girl of Your Dreams.
- In 2007, Jane Zhang told an interviewer that she “lived in a bar for 6 years”.
- She has established herself as the number one female singer in mainland China and was ranked 43rd in the “2011 Forbes China Celebrities List”.
- On April 27, 2019, she released her debut English-language studio album Past Progressive and it peaked at #31 on the US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard) chart. Its tracklist includes 808, Work for it (Remix) (ft. Migos), Fighting Shadows (ft. Big Sean), Black Market, Pull Me Up, Roll the Dice, Love Story, Angels and Harmony (ft. Ne-Yo), and Balance Me Out.
- Jane Zhang won the Beijing Pop Music Award for “Best Female Singer” in 2019.
- She has described herself as a feminist and has said that gender equality is an issue that remains close to her heart.
Featured Image by Sherriff / Wikimedia / Public Domain