Ronald Cyler II
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
RJ Cyler’s formal education info isn’t available.
- Father – Ronald Cyler (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Katina Cyler (Cook)
- Siblings – Broderick Cyler (Older Brother), Steven Cyler (Older Brother)
RJ Cyler is represented by JLA Talent Agency.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Information about his love life and dating history isn’t available.
Race / Ethnicity
Short cropped hairstyle
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 39 in or 99 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 31 in or 79 cm
In 2016, RJ Cyler was seen in an anti-smoking ad by FDA.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Having played the main role in comedy-drama movie, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015).
- Being cast as Billy Cranston or Blue Ranger in the superhero movie, Power Rangers (2017).
He was first seen in a short film Second Chances in 2013 for his role as R. J.
However, his first feature film was Me and Earl and the Dying Girl in 2015.
First TV Show
In 2016, RJ was seen in 3 episodes of the comedy series, Vice Principals as Luke Brown.
RJ took martial arts training in Los Angeles to prepare for his role in Power Rangers. His training included learning fighting skills, practicing fighting sequences and grueling workouts, which ensured that he would be physically ready to withstand challenging and rigorous requirements of the shooting.
As part of his gym workouts, he focused on lifting heavy weights that helped him pack on lean muscle mass.
He complemented his workout regime with the protein-based healthy diet plan.
RJ Cyler Favorite Things
- Film – Midnight Cowboy (1969)
- Band – Arctic Monkeys
- Music Artists – Taylor Swift
- DJ – Grandmaster Flash
- Actors – Martin Lawrence, Al Pacino, Will Smith
Source – Interview Magazine, The Source
RJ Cyler Facts
- In 2017, the Forbes magazine included him in 8th position in “30 Under 30” list for Hollywood and Entertainment section.
- He had an interest in entertainment from a very young age and by the age of 12, he had formed a dance group, Takes Christ 2 Change with his brother Broderick.
- While studying in middle and high school, he was a member of the music group, The Crew. He used to make mixes for the group.
- Although he continues to build his promising career, he wasn’t good in drama classes while studying in high school. He had to enlist the help of his high school crush to get through drama classes.
- He had an embarrassing experience at the audition for Nike commercial. While performing karaoke steps at the audition, he passed gas in front of other participants and casting judges.
- When his representative agency arranged an audition for I’m Dying Up Here, Cyler had wrongly assumed that it was another regular, slapstick comedy show. He later realized the depth and complexity of the story.
- To prepare for his role in I’m Dying Up Here, he watched a lot of Eddie Murphy’s movies and shows. He also analyzed Richard Pryor’s performances.
- As part of his preparation for the role of Adam Proteau, show’s comedy consultant took him to Marty’s Comedy Club and asked him to perform on stage so that he could get the feel of his role.
- Cyler’s family was asked to move to Los Angeles by his mentor at an acting camp. In February 2013, they decided to heed his mentor’s advice and Cyler along with his mother moved to LA followed by his father and one brother.
- His family found a place to live in LA just a short time before he bagged a role in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. They were homeless before that.
- While growing up, he used to play drums at the church. He had taken lessons from his godmother and also learned how to play the piano.
- He got into acting after listening to radio commercial about actor’s camp in Orlando. His father wasn’t sure about it but his mother convinced him about it.
- Visit his official website @ rjcyler.net.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.