|Sania Mirza Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 15, 1986|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sania Mirza is an Indian professional tennis player who has won numerous Grand Slam titles in her career. In the past, she was ranked as India’s No. 1 player by the Women’s Tennis Association and had received her highest ranking of No. 27 in 2007. During the course of her career, Sania has participated in numerous tournaments such as the Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open, French Open, DFS Classic, Sunfeast Open, PTT Pattaya Open, BNP Paribas Open, Aegon Classic, BGL Luxembourg Open, Guangzhou International Open, Family Circle Cup, Sparta Prague Open, and many more. She has been honored with several awards such as the Arjuna Award, Padma Bhushan, Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna, and Padma Shri.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Sania attended NASR School in Hyderabad and later graduated from St. Mary’s College in Yousufguda, Hyderabad.
Professional tennis player
- Father – Imran Mirza (Sports journalist)
- Mother – Naseema
- Siblings – Anam Mirza (Younger Sister)
Right-handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
February 3, 2003
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
62 kg or 137 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sania Mirza dated –
- Shahid Kapoor (2008) – Sania had a fling with Indian actor Shahid Kapoor in 2008.
- Sohrab Mirza (2009-2010) – In the following year, that is in 2009, Sania got engaged to her childhood friend Sohrab Mirza (an Indian businessman). But, the marriage broke up shortly after in 2010.
- Shoaib Malik (2010-2022) – Pakistani cricket player Shoaib Malik started dating Sania in 2010. After dating for almost 6 months, Sania and Shoaib married in an Islamic ceremony on April 12, 2010, at the Taj Krishna Hotel in Hyderabad, India. Subsequently, Pakistani wedding customs were performed for a mahr (Mahr is an amount given to the bride’s family by the groom’s family during the time of marriage. The amount is generally cash, but it can be property, household goods, automobiles, etc as agreed upon between the two families) of 61 lakh. They have a son together named Izhaan Mirza Malik (b. October 2018). In November 2022, it was confirmed that the two were heading for a divorce and were finalizing the legal paperwork regarding the divorce. Shoaib had reportedly cheated on her with actress Ayesha Omar.
Race / Ethnicity
Wears a nose ring
38-26-36 in or 96.5-66-91.5 cm
Country Club’s global brand ambassador in 2013, Krrish Group’s brand ambassador for their Delhi franchise in Indian Badminton League in 2013.
She has also endorsed Coca-Cola and Rodeo Drive Luxury brands in the past.
Best Known For
Playing lawn tennis for India
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
Sania has not won the Grand Slam title in singles. But, her results of the singles in the tournaments are shown below –
- Australian Open – 3R (2005, 2008)
- French Open – 2R (2007, 2011)
- Wimbledon – 2R (2005, 2007, 2008, 2009)
- US Open – 4R (2005)
For all of her career statistics, you may want to visit here.
Sania, being a tennis player needs to be physically fit and stay away from injuries. So, she does regular workouts.
Regarding diet, she eats more carbohydrates during the tournament. But, once it’s over, she just cuts those excessive carbs as she is not in need of surplus energy.
Sania Mirza Favorite Things
- Actor – Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan
- Movies – Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988), Phool Aur Kaante (1991), Mohra (1994), Maine Pyaar Kiya (1989), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
- Sport – Tennis
- Actress – Sonakshi Sinha, Kareena Kapoor
Source – Filmfare.com
Sania Mirza Facts
- Sania achieved World Ranking #27 in singles in August 2007, which is her best career ranking.
- She won her first “Grand Slam Mixed Doubles Title” in 2009, which was an Australian Open. In 2012, she won the French Open in the “Mixed Doubles” category. Her partner was Mahesh Bhupathi.
- Mirza started playing tennis at the age of 6 and used to receive training from her father in her initial stages of learning tennis.
- In 2005, Sania was named as WTA‘s “Newcomer of the year”.
- Sania’s mom Naseema was selected as the manager for the 2-member tennis team for London Olympics 2012.
- She once believed in 2010 that her career has ended as she had to undergo three surgeries in a row and was not able to lift even a spoon.
- Sania’s family is surrounded by sports, especially cricket (her father, husband, and others). But, still, she opted for tennis as it is her favorite sport.
- She had watched the 2001 movie Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (also known as K3G) almost 30 times.
- In 2006, Sania was honored with the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award of the Republic of India. She received the Padma Bhushan in 2016, which is the third-highest civilian award in India.
- On November 23, 2013, she was appointed as UN Women‘s Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia.
- In 2014, Sania was appointed as the the brand ambassador of Telangana.
- She was included in Time magazine’s “100 most influential people in the world” list in 2016.
- Sania published an autobiography titled Ace Against Odds in July 2016.
- In January 2022, Sania announced that she would retire from tennis after the 2022 season. She had retired from the singles’ category of tennis in 2013.
- Until January 2022, she had won $7,030,997 prize money as per the Women’s Tennis Association.