|Ciarán Hinds Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||February 9, 1953|
Ciarán Hinds is an Irish actor, best known for movies such as Road to Perdition (2002), Munich (2005), There Will be Blood (2007), and The Woman in Black (2012) alongside Daniel Radcliffe. He also had roles in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011), Red Sparrow (2018) with Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) where he starred as Aberforth Dumbledore.
Ciarán appeared in prominent TV series such as Rome as Gaius Julius Caesar from 2005 to 2007, Above Suspicion (2009-2012) where he played the role of DCI James Langton, and most notably, Game of Thrones, where he had the guest role of Mance Rayder from 2013 to 2015. In 2017, he voiced the fully-CGI villain Steppenwolf in a DC superhero movie Justice League, starring Hollywood actors Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, and Ezra Miller, as well as The Terror, a well-known series aired by AMC in 2018, where he starred as John Franklin alongside Jared Harris and George Takei.
Keeran, Ciarin Hinds
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Ciarán attended Holy Family Primary School and then enrolled in St. Malachy’s College, both located in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
He then aspired to become a lawyer by studying at the Queen’s University of Belfast, but quickly changed his might and abandoned his studies in favor of acting. Ciarán then enrolled in the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, where he studied drama and graduated in 1975.
- Father – Gerry Hinds (Doctor)
- Mother – Moya Hinds (Amateur Actress, Schoolteacher)
- Siblings – He has 4 sisters.
Ciarán Hinds is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Dalzell and Beresford in London, England, United Kingdom
6 ft or 183 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ciarán has dated –
- Hélène Patarot (1987–Present) – He met the French-Vietnamese actress in 1987, while they were both in the cast of The Mahabharata 6-hour theatre piece, which was later released in form of a film in 1989. In 1991, their daughter, Aoife Hinds, was born. The pair lived in Paris as of 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish descent.
Due to advancing age, his hair has turned to ‘Salt and Pepper’ color.
- Tall physique
- Often wears stubble or a full beard
- Hazel eyes
- Thin, long nose
Best Known For
- Having a guest role of Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones TV series (2013-2015)
- Starring as Aberforth Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
- Being a voice actor for the villain Steppenwolf in Justice League (2017), and Pabbie/Grandpa in Frozen (2013)
- Starring in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) as Roy Bland
- Having roles in The Woman in Black (2012), Red Sparrow (2018), and Hitman: Agent 47 (2015)
As a Singer
His first credits as a music performer were songs Notes, Prima Donna, Masquerade, and We Have All Been Blind in The Phantom of the Opera (2004).
Ciarán Hinds made his first theatrical film appearance as a character named Lot in the adventure-drama movie Excalibur in 1981.
First TV Show
Ciarán Hinds made his first TV show appearance on the short history television series Out of the Past in 1977.
Ciarán Hinds Favorite Things
- Sport – Football
- Hobby – Art, Drawing
- Soundtrack To His Life – Stoned Me by Van Morrison
- Art Gallery – The Galleria Borghese in Rome
Source – The Guardian
Ciarán Hinds Facts
- He was interested in dancing in his youth.
- His name is pronounced as ‘Keeran’, while his daughter’s name, Aoife, is pronounced ‘Ee-fa’, which is an Irish variation of the name Eve.
- Ciarán became great friends with Liam Neeson, a well-known Irish Hollywood actor. He was a pallbearer at the funeral of the actress Natasha Richardson in 2009, who was Liam’s wife.
- He began the professional acting career as a theater actor, first in Glasgow Citizens’ Theatre in a play titled Cinderella (1976), and then in many plays throughout the late 1970s and early and mid-1980s. During those years, he had notable performances in companies such as Druid Theatre, Abbey Theatre, Field Day Theatre Company, Project Arts Center, Lyric Players’ Theatre, and later on, Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Ciarán almost missed the casting for The Mahabharata, a 6-hour theatre piece where he met his wife because he had problems with renewing his Irish passport.
- He starred as Larry in the Broadway production of a play titled Closer (1997), which was later nominated for a Tony Award, one of the most prestigious awards for the theatre, and some critics credit it for kickstarting Ciarán acting career.
- Ciarán had a notable appearance in a crime detective drama television series Above Suspicion from 2009 to 2012, and later came back for its sequels The Red Dahlia (2010), Deadly Intent (2011) and 2 years later, Silent Scream (2013).
- In 2002, he starred in a criminal drama Road to Perdition (2002) alongside Tom Hanks, Daniel Craig, Tyler Hoechlin and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
- His acting credits include voice-acting as well, as he borrowed his voice to Valmont in the radio production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses on BBC, as well as in audiobooks such as Invahoe, where he was the voice actor behind Bois-Guilbert in 1997, and Anthony Cleopatra and The Winter’s Tale, both audio adaptations of Shakespeare’s well-known plays.
- He played Aberforth Dumbledore, the brother of Albus Dumbledore, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011), which was the final film in the series. His co-stars were well-known Hollywood actors Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton, Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham Carter, and Ralph Fiennes.
- He starred in the historical drama film Silence (2016), directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Liam Neeson, which was nominated for the Oscar at the Academy Awards event in 2017.
- Ciarán first appeared together with Helen Mirren in a well-known movie Excalibur in 1981. They co-starred in films 4 more times until 2010, in The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover in 1989, Some Mother’s Son in 1996, Calendar Girls in 2003, and finally, in The Debt in 2010.
- From 2013 to 2015, he was seen playing a character of Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones, a well-known TV series that started airing in 2011. It featured actors Kit Harington, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Liam Cunningham, and others.
- He co-starred with Scarlett Johansson in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, a Broadway play that opened at The Richard Rodgers Theater in New York on January 17, 2013.
- Ciarán had a notable appearance in a classic play Hamlet at the London Barbican theatre in 2015, where he was playing a character of King Claudius alongside Benedict Cumberbatch.
- After he finished the voice acting role of Steppenwolf in Justice League (2017), he was disappointed with the changes well-known director Joss Whedon made and proposed for the theatrical cut done by Zack Snyder to be released, as he thought it was superior.
- He was seen starring as Deputy Governor Danforth at The Crucible play on Broadway in 2016, alongside Ben Whishaw and Saoirse Ronan.
- He isn’t active on social media.
Featured Image by Associated Press / YouTube