|Rhea Chakraborty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5¼ in|
|Date of Birth||July 1, 1992|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
Rhea Chakraborty is an Indian actress, host, TV personality, and VJ who is known for having been cast in a number of on-screen roles such as Jasleen in Mere Dad Ki Maruti, Tanya in Dobaara: See Your Evil, Sonali Dattaram Tandel in Sonali Cable, Aisha in Jalebi, Nidhi in Tuneega Tuneega, Gayatri Ganguli in Bank Chor, and Anshika in Half Girlfriend. During the second half of the year 2020, she attracted immense media coverage and became a topic of nationwide interest in India as she was linked with the death of her late boyfriend and actor Sushant Singh Rajput.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Rhea Chakraborty studied at Army Public School Ambala Cantt.
Actress, Host, TV Personality, VJ
- Father – Indrajit Chakraborty (Retired Indian Army Officer)
- Mother – Sandhya Chakraborty
- Sibling – Showik Chakraborty (Brother)
5 ft 5¼ in or 165.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rhea Chakraborty has dated –
- Aditya Roy Kapur – She was previously in a relationship with actor Aditya Roy Kapur.
- Sushant Singh Rajput (2019-2020) – She started dating actor Sushant Singh Rajput in the year 2019 and the duo was planning to get married in November 2020. However, Sushant Singh Rajput passed away on June 14, 2020, and what followed for Rhea was a series of judicial trails as well as a number of insensitive media trials.
Race / Ethnicity
Rhea Chakraborty is of Bengali descent.
- Charming smile
- Toned body
Rhea Chakraborty Facts
- Her career started with her working in MTV India’s TVS Scooty Teen Diva in 2009. She wrapped-up her journey on the show as the first runner-up.
- She made her first film appearance by playing the lead role of Nidhi in the 2012 Telugu romantic drama film, Tuneega Tuneega, in which she co-starred alongside Sumanth Ashwin, Mrinal Dutt, and Vasundhara Kashyap.
- In 2013, she co-starred as Jasleen in the comedy film, Mere Dad Ki Maruti, and her fellow castmates included Saqib Saleem, Ram Kapoor, Prabal Panjabi, and Ravi Kishan.
- She brought to life the character of Anshika, who loves Madhav but lets him go for Riya, in the 2017 Hindi-language romantic drama film, Half Girlfriend, starring Arjun Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor.
- She appeared as Gayatri Ganguly, a journalist, in the Hindi-language black comedy film, Bank Chor, in the year 2017.
- As a host, she has worked on several shows such as Gone in 60 Seconds, TicTac College Beat, and Pepsi MTV Wassup.
- In the year 2019, she co-founded the artificial intelligence company named Vividrage Rhealityx alongside her brother and her then-boyfriend Sushant Singh Rajput.
- In the investigations carried out by Mumbai Police into the Sushant Singh Rajput’s alleged suicide case, any possibility of foul play in the actor’s death was ruled out and his death was stated as a “clear case of suicide”. However, his father filed an F.I.R. with the Patna police, accusing Rhea Chakraborty and 5 others of abetment of suicide, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, theft, criminal breach of trust, and cheating under various sections of the IPC. Later, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Enforcement Directorate, and the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) also got involved in the case.
- She was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on charges that marijuana was supplied to Rajput on orders from her and her brother.
- She was housed at Mumbai’s Byculla jail.
- Throughout the proceedings related to Sushant Singh Rajput’s case, various media outlets including Times Now, Republic TV, Zee News, NDTV, News 18, and India Today were accused of sensationalizing the issue and the Press Council of India (PCI) later stated that the coverage of the case through media trials “is in violation of the norms of journalistic conduct.”
- A BBC News report on August 27, 2020, stated that Rhea had “found herself at the center of a vicious hate campaign led by some of India’s most high-profile journalists and social media trolls.”
- The entire case also drew attention to the patriarchal ways of life that are still prevailing in the world and how it has always been easier and convenient for the society to target women, irrespective of their good or bad doings, simply by character assassinating them. A September 2020 study “Anatomy of a Rumour: Social media and the suicide of Sushant Singh Rajput” by the University of Michigan associate professor Joyojeet Pal and colleagues described how Indian journalists and media houses were “equally complicit in pushing an agenda against Rhea Chakraborty.”
- One of Sushant Singh’s fans even threatened Rhea on Instagram with rape and murder and asked her to “commit suicide otherwise I will send people to kill you”.
- She was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on October 7, 2020, while her brother’s plea was rejected.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0