|Sanjay Dutt Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 0½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 29, 1959|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sanjay Dutt is an Indian actor who made his acting debut in Rocky, a 1981 Bollywood romantic action film directed by his father Sunil Dutt. Since then, he has appeared in several films such as Naam, Munna Bhai M.B.B.S., Lage Raho Munna Bhai, Vaastav: The Reality, Jeete Hain Shaan Se, Mission Kashmir, Agneepath, Hum Bhi Insaan Hain, Kanoon Apna Apna, Khalnayak, Saajan, Mardon Wali Baat, Ilaaka, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Anthony Kaun Hai, Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!, Parineeta, Dhamaal, Tees Maar Khan, Double Dhamaal, Zila Ghaziabad, PK, Ek Aur Ek Gyarah, and Insaaf Apne Lahoo Se. Apart from his career in the entertainment industry, Sanjay Dutt has also received media attention for his legal problems and he was arrested under the TADA and the Arms Act in April 1993 and was convicted for violation of the Arms Act for possession of illegal weapons procured from other accused in the 1993 Bombay bombings.
Sanjay Balraj Dutt
Sanju Baba, Baba, The Nayak of Hindi Cinema, The Arnold Schwarzenegger of India
Bombay, Maharashtra, India
Sanjay Dutt lives in a lavish and swanky apartment in the Imperial Heights building at the iconic Pali Hills in Mumbai.
Sanjay Dutt was enrolled at The Lawrence School, Sanawar near Kasauli.
Film actor, film producer, comedian, politician, television presenter
- Father – Sunil Dutt (Actor, producer, director, and politician) (He also served as the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports.)
- Mother – Nargis Dutt (Actress)
- Siblings – Priya Dutt (Younger Sister) (Politician and former Member of Parliament), Namrata Dutt (Sister)
Sanjay was managed by Reshma Shetty.
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sanjay Dutt has dated –
- In 1985, Sanjay Dutt was reported to be dating a Malaysian girl, who was working as an air hostess in a Saudi Arabian airline.
- Farha Naaz – Dutt was going out with Bollywood actress Farha Naaz in the late eighties. In 1986, it was even rumored that they had got engaged.
- Tina Munim (1980-1981) – According to reports, Sanjay started going out with actress Tina Munim in 1981. They had met on the sets of his movie, Rocky, in which he made his debut as the lead actor. While shooting for the movie, they started dating. However, their relationship didn’t last long as she dumped him and started dating much older Rajesh Khanna. Sanjay was in attendance at her glitzy wedding to the industrialist, Anil Ambani.
- Richa Sharma – After dating for a brief period of time, Sanjay got married to his first wife Richa Sharma. A year after their marriage, Richa gave birth to their daughter, Trishala. Shortly after Trishala’s birth, she was diagnosed with cancer. Now, it is not clear when they separated. One narrative states that they separated shortly after her diagnosis and she decided to move to the US to live with her parents. The same narrative claims that he had mutually agreed with his in-laws that they should raise Trishala after Richa’s death. The other narrative suggests that they separated much later after her diagnosis. He was involved in a custody battle with his in-laws after the death of his wife in 1996.
- Lisa Ray – After the collapse of his marriage with Richa Sharma, Sanjay found solace in a relationship with model Lisa Ray. However, their relationship lasted for a brief time.
- Madhuri Dixit – Sanjay Dutt started dating actress Madhuri Dixit towards the start of the 90s. It is reported that they had started dating after having grown fond of each other while shooting for the movie, Saajan. By the time their iconic movie Khalnayak was released in 1993, they had gone separate ways. She had dumped him as she felt it wasn’t right for her career and image.
- Rhea Pillai (1993-2005) – By the time he was thrown into jail by the TADA court, Sanjay Dutt was in a relationship with model Rhea Pillai. She was spotted making innumerable visits during his jail terms. A year after he was eventually released, Sanjay got married to Rhea in 1998. However, once again his marriage didn’t last the distance and they got divorced in 2005. They had been living apart for some time before their divorce.
- Nadia Durrani – According to some tabloids, Nadia Durrani was responsible for Rhea and Sanjay’s separation. Sanjay had grown too fond of Durrani while shooting for the 2002 crime drama movie, Kante. They remained close even after the movie’s release. By 2005, he was introducing Nadia as his girlfriend in his close social circles. It was even rumored that he was all set to get married for the third time. However, this relationship also saw an end.
- Manyata – Sanjay Dutt was introduced to his third wife Manyata by producer Nitin Manmohan. Manyata was wearing a simple saree and he was smitten by her simplicity. He was still in a relationship with Nadia when he started seeing Manyata. Whenever Nadia was out of town, Manyata used to come over to his house. She even used to cook food for him. When their relationship was made public, it caused controversy due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, Sanjay was 19 years older than her and she had even reportedly said that she and Trishala were like sisters as they had only 6 years of an age difference. Plus, she had worked in a couple of B-grade movies. Also, his sisters Priya and Namrata weren’t too taken up with their brother’s new girlfriend. They got married in 2008 in a private ceremony in Goa. In October 2010, she gave birth to twins – a girl named Iqra and a boy named Shahraan.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Punjabi ancestry.
- Muscular body
- His unique swagger
Sanjay Dutt has appeared in TV commercials for
- Haywards 5000 Soda (along with Suniel Shetty)
- Divya Vest
- Yogiraj Cool Oil
- Rupa Frontline
- Rotary Watches
- Goa Gutka
- Venky’s Chicken
- Thums Up
Best Known For
- Having appeared in several very successful movies such as Munna Bhai M.B.B.S., Musafir, Lage Raho Munna Bhai, and Shootout at Lokhandwala.
- Having worked in a number of highly acclaimed movies such as Zinda, Vaastav: The Reality, and Naam.
- The legal troubles that have seen him serve jail time on multiple occasions.
In 1971, Sanjay made his theatrical film debut in a minor role in the crime drama movie, Reshma Aur Shera. The movie had his father Sunil Dutt in the lead role, who was also the director and producer of the project. The movie had Amitabh Bachchan, Vinod Khanna, Raakhee, and Amrish Puri in supporting roles.
First TV Show
In 1988, he made his first TV show appearance as himself in the TV show, Network East.
Sanjay Dutt is credited for creating the gym culture in Bollywood. Stars like Salman Khan have often claimed that Dutt inspired them to build buff physiques. And, his dedication to workout hasn’t waned over the years and he has found ways to work out even in difficult conditions.
Even, when he was serving time in prison, he made sure that he was working out. He even managed to lose 18 kg weight and carved six-pack abs. Due to the lack of gym equipment in his jail cell, he had to rely on bodyweight exercises. He has asked for permission to take dumbbells to his cell. However, after his request was rejected, he decided to use buckets of water for resistance. He even used spades in place of dumbbells.
After coming out of jail, he hired a personal trainer Sunil Prabhale to make sure that he was completely prepared for his Bollywood return. Prabhale revealed that he was spending hours in the gym and was following a strict diet.
Sanjay Dutt Favorite Things
- Food – Chicken Tikka
Source – Men’s XP
Sanjay Dutt Facts
- In the early 80s, he started taking drugs as part of his coping mechanism after the death of his mother. His drug abuse led to his blossoming acting career give way to series of flops, which prompted him to think about quitting Bollywood.
- In January 2012, he joined hands with entrepreneur Raj Kundra to launch India’s first organized and professional MMA league named Super Fight League.
- In 1993, he was arrested by police under the provisions of the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA). He had been accused of accepting delivery of illegal weapons from preparators of the 1993 bombings.
- To tackle his drug problem, he got admitted to a drug rehab in Texas. The drug rehab program was so effective that in 1984, he was contemplating settling down in the US.
- In October 1995, he was granted bail by the Supreme court but was arrested again a couple of months later in December and was eventually granted bail in April 1997.
- In July 2007, Dutt was slapped with six years prison sentence by the TADA court after having found him guilty of illegal possession of weapons. His prison sentence was eventually reduced to 5 years.
- While growing up, he was kidnapped by the dacoits from the sets of Mujhe Jeene Do. He was returned a day later without any harm done.
- Alongside Hrithik Roshan, Rishi Kapoor, and Priyanka Chopra, he co-starred as Kancha Cheena, an unscrupulous man who runs Mandwa as a concentration camp and exploits the villagers in order to deal in cheap cocaine, in the Hindi-language action drama film, Agneepath, in 2012.
- In his teen and youth years, he was pretty passionate about the Air Guitar movement. He was even reported to have voted as the winner of one such competition in the US.
- Dutt is reported to be a heavy drinker. In fact, his and Salman Khan’s parties and drinking binges in the late nineties were quite infamous.
- He has established his production company by the name Sanjay Dutt Productions. The company is managed by his wife Manyata.
- The role of Fateh Singh (Salman Khan’s MMA coach) in Sultan (2016) was first offered to Sanjay. After his rejection, it was finally played by Randeep Hooda.
- Ranbir Kapoor portrayed his character in his 2018 Hindi-language biographical drama film, Sanju, directed by Rajkumar Hirani. The film emerged as the highest-grossing Bollywood film of 2018, the second highest-earning Hindi film in India of all time, and one of the highest-grossing Indian films.
- He was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in August 2020.
- In March 2021, he received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at the BKC jumbo vaccination center in Mumbai.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Bollywood Hungama / CC BY 3.0