|Sia Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 18, 1975|
Sia Furler is an Australian singer, songwriter, voice actress, and director whose career began as a singer in the acid jazz band Crisp in the mid-1990s in Adelaide and after Crisp disbanded, she released her debut solo studio album in December 1997. Over the years, she has gained critical acclaim with her music and has received multiple accolades including a dozen ARIA Awards, 9 Grammy Award nominations, and an MTV Video Music Award. Her discography includes albums and tracks like Chandelier, This Is Acting, Music – Songs from and Inspired by the Motion Picture, We Are Born, Cheap Thrills (ft. Sean Paul), Some People Have Real Problems, Healing Is Difficult, 1000 Forms of Fear, Elastic Heart (ft. The Weeknd and Diplo), Fire Meet Gasoline, Big Girls Cry, The Greatest (ft. Kendrick Lamar), Here I Am (with Dolly Parton), I’m Still Here, and Never Give Up.
Sia Kate Isobelle Furler
Sia (pronounced – SEE-ah)
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Sia attended North Adelaide Primary School and Adelaide High School and Olivet Nazarene University and finally graduated in 1994.
Singer, Songwriter, Voice Actress, Director
- Father – Phil B. Colson (Served as a musician in various bands)
- Mother – Loene Furler (Singer, songwriter, musician, art lecturer)
- Others – Bob Furler (Maternal Grandfather) (Footballer), Kathleen Grace Burns (Maternal Grandmother), Kevin Colson (Paternal Uncle) (Stage Actor, Film and Television Actor, Singer), Peter Furler (Cousin) (Rock Musician)
Alternative rock, downtempo, pop, dance, trip-hop, jazz, acid jazz
RCA Records, Dance Pool, Go! Beat, Hear, Astralwerks, Inertia, Monkey Puzzle, Atlantic
5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
62 kg or 137 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sia Furler has dated –
- J.D. Samson (2008-2011) – American musician Jocelyn Rachel “JD” Samson and Sia were romantically linked to each other for three years.
- Erik Anders Lang (2014-2016) – Sia started dating documentary filmmaker Erik Anders Lang in 2014 and got engaged on June 6, 2014. On August 2, 2014, she married him at her home in Palm Springs, California. They split up in December 2016.
- Shia LaBeouf
Note – Sia adopted 2 African American boys from foster care in 2019. Her younger son is named Che. In July 2020, Sia became a grandmother when one of her boys (aged 19 at that time) fathered twins.
Race / Ethnicity
Sia is of English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh descent.
35-28-35 in or 89-71-89 cm
10 (US) or 40 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 6 (UK) or 39 (EU)
She believes in God. But, this was her exact reply on her religious beliefs –
“I believe in a higher power and it’s called ‘Whatever Dude’ and he’s a queer, surfing Santa that’s a bit like my grandpa, so yes.”
Best Known For
Her single “Chandelier” from the album “1000 Forms of Fear” released in 2014.
The single charted at #2 in Australia, #1 in France, #8 in the US, #6 in Canada, Denmark, and the UK. It was certified as 4x Platinum in Australia.
Sia released her debut album OnlySee in 1997 via Flavoured Records label. It didn’t chart anywhere. The trip-hop album consisted of 13 singles giving it a total length of about 52 minutes.
She appeared in the 2005 romantic comedy film Piccadilly Jim for her role as New York Bar Singer.
As a voiceover artist, she made her theatrical film debut by providing vocals to the character of Songbird Serenade, a pegasus and famous pop star in Equestria, in the 2017 animated musical fantasy film, My Little Pony: The Movie.
Sia Furler Facts
- In 2011, she was a guest mentor on The Voice US.
- Her mom also provided backing vocals for Mount Lofty Rangers.
- Sia’s grandfather, father, and uncle had worked as taxi drivers.
- Sia’s parents were both in the Adelaide rockabilly band, The Soda Jerx.
- Sia once got frustrated when her favorite clothes were destroyed by a dry cleaner and she asked her Twitter followers what to do in such a situation in order to take revenge.
- She has a pet dog named Pantera.
- She is a vegetarian and had appeared in a PETA Asia-Pacific with her pet dog to promote pet neutering.
- In Australia, “Clap Your Hands” was her first big mainstream hit.
- She once suffered from depression due to addiction to painkillers and alcohol. Due to all these things, she also attempted to commit suicide and hence wrote a suicide note.
- She has a lovely snaggletooth. She actually was given a choice by her parents either to get the teeth fixed or study in Italy for a year. She chose the second option and now feels glad about that choice.
- Previously, she was a vegetarian and turned full vegan later. She also tweeted about the same in 2014.
- She has Graves’ disease.
- She penned Kylie Minogue‘s song “S*xercise,” Rihanna‘s Hit “Diamonds,” Lea Michele‘s “Cannonball” and numerous others.
- She is friends with singers like Christina Aguilera, Elisha Cuthbert, Gwen Stefani, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Girls’ Zosia Mamet, and several others.
- She is an activist and is a big advocate for animals.
- In the year 2010, she was misdiagnosed as bipolar but later, in 2019, she was diagnosed with complex PTSD.
- Sia was watching a documentary and saw a boy in that film. On finding that the boy didn’t have parents, she decided to adopt him. This is how she got the inspiration to adopt the boys in 2019.
- She appeared as Popstar Without Borders in Music, a 2021 American musical drama film directed by singer-songwriter Sia which stars Kate Hudson, Leslie Odom Jr., and Maddie Ziegler. The film also marker her directorial debut.
- In February 2021, she deleted her Twitter profile after receiving backlash for her Golden Globe-nominated film Music, which stars Maddie Ziegler as a character with autism.