|Anand L. Rai Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 28, 1971|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Anand L. Rai is an Indian film director and producer who has worked on a variety of projects which include the likes of Raanjhanaa, Zero, Strangers, Thodi Life Thoda Magic, Tanu Weds Manu, Tanu Weds Manu: Returns, Nil Battey Sannata, Raksha Bandhan, Happy Bhag Jayegi, Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi, Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, Mukkabaaz, Meri Nimmo, Haseen Dillruba, Manmarziyaan, Good Luck Jerry, Tumbbad, Laal Kaptaan, and Atrangi Re.
Anand L. Rai
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Anand L. Rai completed his schooling in Delhi and did computer engineering in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Father – He was a teacher.
- Mother – She was a teacher.
- Siblings – Ravi Rai (Brother) (Director)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
Anand L. Rai Facts
- He grew up in Delhi.
- After the partition of India in 1947, his family moved from Sindh to Dehradun.
- He started his career as an engineer but eventually shifted to filmmaking.
- Anand L. Rai made his directorial debut with the 2007 thriller film Strangers, an adaptation of the 1951 Alfred Hitchcock film Strangers on a Train. It stars Jimmy Sheirgill, Kay Kay Menon, Nandana Sen, and Sonali Kulkarni.
- He served as the director for the 2011 Hindi-language romantic comedy-drama film Tanu Weds Manu, starring R. Madhavan, Kangana Ranaut, Jimmy Sheirgill, Eijaz Khan, Swara Bhaskar, and Deepak Dobriyal. The film received mixed-to-positive reviews and Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama rated it 3.5/5, noting, “Tanu Weds Manu is a feel-good, light-hearted entertainer with the right dose of humor, drama and romance, besides a popular musical score and some smart dialogue that act as toppings. If you like simple, uncomplicated films that tug at your heartstrings, then chances are that you might just like this sweet little rom-com.”
- Anand L. Rai directed the 2013 critically-acclaimed Hindi-language romantic drama film Raanjhanaa. The film stars Dhanush, Sonam Kapoor, Abhay Deol, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub, and Swara Bhaskar and Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN wrote, “For its immensely entertaining first half, a winning score by AR Rahman, but most of all for Dhanush, this is a film that’s worth your time. I’m going with three out of five for Raanjhanaa. It’s not perfect, but it’ll do.”
- He co-produced the 2017 Hindi-language romantic comedy film Shubh Mangal Saavdhan, a remake of the 2013 Tamil film Kalyana Samayal Saadham. The film received 5 nominations at the 63rd Filmfare Awards.
- He directed the 2018 Hindi-language comedy-drama film Zero, starring Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma, Katrina Kaif, Abhay Deol, R. Madhavan, and Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub.
- Anand L. Rai co-produced and directed the 2021 Hindi-language romantic fantasy comedy-drama film Atrangi Re, starring Dhanush, Sara Ali Khan, and Akshay Kumar in lead roles.
Featured Image by Anand L. Rai / Instagram