|Romain Gavras Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 4, 1981|
Romain Gavras is a talented French director who has set himself apart with his distinct visual style that can be seen in his films such as Our Day Will Come (2010), The World Is Yours (2018), Athena (2022), etc.
Paris, Île-de-France, France
- Paris, France
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Athens, Central Greece, Greece
- Father – Costa-Gavras (Director, Screenwriter, Producer)
- Mother – Michèle Ray-Gavras (Producer, Journalist)
- Siblings – Julie Gavras (Sister) (Director), Alexandre Gavras (Older Brother) (Director), Patrick Maffone (Maternal Half-Brother)
5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Romain Gavras has dated –
- Rita Ora (2020-2021) – The French director had a short-lived relationship with the British singer Rita Ora, which lasted from September 2020 until March 2021.
- Dua Lipa (2023-Present) – In early 2023, the 41-year-old Romain began a relationship with the famous singer/songwriter Dua Lipa, who is 14 years younger than him. The two were snapped together in February 2023 while leaving the BAFTA’s after-party and later, were also spotted sharing a kiss while leaving the Saint Laurent Paris Fashion Week show. Although their relationship only became public in February 2023, reportedly, the two had been quietly dating for a few months by that point. They made their red carpet debut as a couple at the Omar La Fraise (The King of Algiers) premiere during the 2023 Cannes Film Festival. In May 2023, Dua made their relationship Instagram official.
- He also has a daughter from a previous relationship, who was 13 years old in 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Greek ancestry on his father’s side and is of French descent on his mother’s side.
Romain Gavras Favorite Things
- Movie – Die Hard (1988)
- Movie At The Age Of 8 Years – War and Peace (1966-67) by Sergei Bondarchuk
Source – The Guardian, Vice
Romain Gavras Facts
- He co-founded the film collective known as Kourtrajmé in collaboration with Kim Chapiron and Toumani Sangaré in 1995.
- Romain is the creative mastermind behind spectacular music videos such as Bad Girls (2012) by M.I.A., No Church in the Wild (2011) by Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Frank Ocean, Gosh (2016) by Jamie xx, Stress (2008) by Justice, Born Free (2010) by M.I.A., etc.
- His critically-acclaimed film Athena (2022), which is based on the themes of police brutality and civil arrest inspired the migrants from the Austrian town of Linz to protest against the police on October 31, 2022.
- Romain has also directed ad campaigns for high-end brands such as Dior’s J’adore: The New Absolu, Louis Vuitton’s Coeur Battant, Powerade’s The Corner, and Adidas (featuring Lionel Messi, David Beckham, and Katy Perry), etc.
- He is close friends with the veteran French actor, Vincent Cassel. Furthermore, Cassel even produced and starred in Romain’s first feature film.
- Instead of growing up on Disney stories like most children, Gavras was introduced to Greek tragedies at a young age by his parents. According to him, he started watching the works of Andrei Tarkovsky at the young age of 7 years.
- His father is an esteemed film director who won the Academy Award for ‘Best Foreign Language Film’ for his political thriller titled Z (1969) in 1970.
- Romain shares his birth date with several notable Hollywood celebrities such as Post Malone, Malia Obama, Gloria Stuart, Geraldo Rivera, Mike Sorrentino, Gina Lollobrigida, Tracy Letts, and many others.
Featured Image by Benderman76 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0