|Rachel Roy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||January 15, 1974|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rachel Roy is an American fashion designer who is best known for her Rachel Roy brand of clothing and jewelry. She has worked with numerous celebrities like Michelle Obama, Kate Hudson, Iman, Jennifer Garner, Kim Kardashian, Sharon Stone, Lucy Liu, Tyra Banks, Penélope Cruz, and Wendy Williams. She launched The RACHEL Rachel Roy collection of sportswear, shoes, and accessories in August 2009. She used to work at Rocawear in the past and rose to the position of creative director of the women’s and children’s divisions in the company.
Rachel Irene Roy
San Bernardino County, California, U.S.
New York City, U.S.
Rachel completed her high school education at Seaside High School.
She later went to Columbia Union College (also known as Washington Adventist University) in Takoma Park, Maryland. She then moved to New York to pursue her career as a wardrobe stylist.
- Mother – Ruth Roy
- Siblings – Rajendra Roy (Brother) (Chief film curator of the Museum of Modern Art in New York)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rachel has dated –
- Damon Dash (2005-2009) – Rachel married American entrepreneur, record executive, music manager, media proprietor, actor, and record producer Damon Dash in 2005. They had first met while she was working as an intern at Roc-A-Wear, an American clothing brand co-founded in 1999 by Damon. At Roc-A-Wear, Rachel had risen to the position of creative director of the company’s women’s and children’s divisions. They have 2 daughters together named Ava Dash and Tallulah Dash. Damon and Rachel got divorced in 2009. In April 2015, she was awarded sole physical custody of their children and granted a 3-year restraining order against Damon who sued her some days later for mismanaging business affairs related to Royale Etenia, a fashion company they had founded when they were married.
- Jay-Z (2014) – There were strong rumors that rapper Jay-Z hooked up with Roy before the Met Gala in 2014. Later that year, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, and Solange were involved in an elevator scuffle that tabloids reported was rooted in Jay’s relationship with Dash’s ex-wife Roy.
- Dwight Freeney (2011) – American footballer Dwight reportedly hooked up with Rachel Roy.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Bengali Indian ancestry on her father’s side. Her mother has Dutch roots.
Her sultry smoky eye makeup
Rachel has appeared in the commercial for YOOX.
She is a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church which is a Protestant Christian denomination.
Best Known For
Her famous Rachel Roy brand of clothing and jewelry.
First TV Show
Rachel appeared as a guest judge on Project Runway Canada in 2009.
Rachel works out 6 days a week and practices yoga with a personal trainer. She started yoga in 2000 after the birth of her first child. Since it is difficult to do a full cardio workout, Roy practices challenging poses to increase the flow of endorphins. She enjoys doing the Virasana (Hero Pose).
She also runs on the treadmill or walks uphill for about 30 minutes. While preparing for the Met Gala, she started doing squats after garnering inspiration from a woman on Instagram.
Rachel worked under the guidance of Tanya Zuckerbrot on her diet and went gluten-free in 2011.
Below is what her diet usually consists of –
- Breakfast – Dr. Junger’s Clean Nourish Daily Shake with almonds and rice or almond milk thrice a week, or egg whites and gluten-free toast with black truffle olive oil.
- Lunch – Salad consisting of beet, grilled chicken, sprouts, cucumber, and avocado.
- Snacks – Almonds and dark chocolate.
- Dinner – Brown rice, vegetables, and chicken, or soup and gluten-free bread.
- Supplements – Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Simple Digestive Formula
Rachel Roy Favorite Things
- Alcoholic Beverage – Red wine
- Beauty Products – Mascara and Eyelashes
- Fragrance – Jo Malone Red Roses Fragrance
- Hair Stylist – Ted Gibson
- Lipstick – Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square
- Designers – Alber Elbaz, Riccardo Tisci, Haider Ackermann
- Sweet – Tic Tacs
- Body Cream – Jo Malone’s Red Roses body lotion
- Restaurants – ABC Kitchen and Eataly
Rachel Roy Facts
- Her friend circle includes Khloé Kardashian and Kim Kardashian West.
- In 2011, she launched her own eyeshadow.
- She finds her happy place to be the sea.
- She has practiced makeup as a kid on her brother.
- Rachel applies makeup for herself, even at red carpet events.
- When she relocated to Manhattan, she developed asthma.
- Her go-to beauty product is the Estée Lauder Time Zone moisturizer since she confesses to having dry and sensitive skin. She also uses Dove Soap.
- She was an intern at the American clothing line founded by Damon Dash and Jay-Z called Rocawear.
- She was honored with an ACE AWARD in November 2010.
- Rachel was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2007.
- Rachel was named the UN Women Champion for Innovation in 2018 for her work, advocating gender equality.
- She published her first book titled Design your Life. 96 Words for Love in 2019.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / ShankBone.org / CC BY 3.0