Aaron Dontez Yates
Tech N9ne (pronounced as Tech Nine), Teach N9ne, Tecca Ninna
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Tech N9ne went to the Southwest High School in Kansas City.
His big break, which came in the form of performing at the opening for EPMD, came on the day he was supposed to attend his high school graduation.
Rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, actor, entrepreneur
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Maude Sue Yates-Kalifah (Suffered from epilepsy and lupus, and passed away in June 2014)
- Siblings – Basimah Khalifah (Sister) (YouTube beauty vlogger with over 40,000 subscribers)
Tech N9ne is managed by Travis O’Guin.
He is also represented by Paradigm Talent Agency.
Hip hop, horrorcore, rap rock
Strange Music, RBC Records, Interscope, Qwest Records, Perspective A&M, Warner Bros. Records
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tech N9ne has dated
- Lecoya LeJeune – Aaron Yates got married to Lecoya LeJeune in 1995 after having dated for some time. For most of their married life, their marriage remained very much in the shadows as he opted to keep his private life firmly personal. His marriage was ironically in the news when he filed for divorce in August 2015. The marriage that lasted 20 years looks good on paper, but his divorce documents revealed that they had separated 10 years ago. In his divorce filing, he asked for joint custody of their daughter Reign, who was 16 years old at the time of divorce.
Note – Yates is also the father to another daughter, Alyia Yates and a son, Dontez Yates. However, the identity of their mother isn’t known. It is also not known whether they even share a mother.
Race / Ethnicity
- Bushy beard
- Often bald or has very short cropped hairstyle
- Often has white paint over his face while performing
His body measurements may be –
- Chest – 43 in or 109 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86 cm
In February 2016, he narrated a Super Bowl advertisement for Sporting KC.
He has also appeared in a TV advert for F.T.I.
Plus, his song was used in the TV commercial for fast food chain, Burger King. However, due to a contractual dispute, the advert wasn’t released.
He was raised in a Christian family.
However, the difficult times his family had to face made him question his faith. Currently, his religious views aren’t clearly known but going by his quotes, he seems to be leaning towards agnosticism.
Best Known For
- Having collaborated with a host of popular rappers and music artists such as Snoop Dogg, T-Pain, Twista, Lil Wayne, and Busta Rhymes.
- The commercial success of his studio album, Absolute Power, which was released in 2002.
In 1999, Tech released his debut studio album, The Calm Before the Storm.
In 2003, Tech made his first film appearance in a documentary, Beef, which recounted some of the biggest feuds in the rap history.
In 2006, he made his theatrical debut in the crime drama flick, Vengeance.
First TV Show
In 2009, Tech made his TV show debut in the Zapp & Roger episode of documentary TV series, Unsung.
Tech decided to follow a healthy and fit lifestyle after getting a wakeup call in 2011. He hired a personal trainer and started following a rigorous workout plan that had cardio as well as weight lifting sessions.
He was working out for an hour with his personal trainer in the gym. And, after returning home, he did half an hour of cardio session on the treadmill. His gym sessions emphasized core work as well as lower body exercises along with lifting weights.
Tech N9ne Favorite Things
- Music Albums – Anghellic (2001) by Tech N9ne, Live on the Sunset Strip (1982) by Richard Pryor, Motor Booty Affair (1978) by Parliament, It’s Dark And Hell Is Hot (1998) by DMX, Dummy (1994) by Portishead, Evil Empire (1996) by Rage Against the Machine, Flo’Ology (2005) by Floetry, Slippery When Wet (1986) by Bon Jovi, among others.
- Rapper – Eminem
- Hip Hop Influences – Slick Rick, N.W.A, Boogie Down Productions, Esham, Public Enemy, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Eric B. & Rakim, Natas, Schoolly D, Just-Ice, OutKast, and Biggie Smalls
- Other Genre Influences – Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Elton John, Floetry, Slipknot, Metallica, Serj Tankian, System of a Down, and Gnarls Barkley
Tech N9ne Facts
- His loyal and intense fans are called Technitions. And, partly due to his fans fervent devotion to him, some malignant sections of the media started a rumor that he was a devil worshipper and leader of a satanic cult.
- In his interview with Hip Hop DX, he has revealed that he was molested by his school teacher while he was studying in 7th grade.
- He has co-founded record label by the name of Strange Music along with his manager Travis O’Guin.
- If he hadn’t become a rapper, he would have ended up in jail because of his affiliation with local gangs. He sold drugs while growing up.
- One of the reasons behind painting his face for performances is because of his fear of clowns. Another reason is that girls found him cute when he was starting out and he wanted to see that whether they would love his music when he had painted his face.
- He has been a vocal and stern critic of racism. He has criticized Nazi culture and skinheads in his interviews.
- His moniker Tech N9ne was inspired by TEC-9 semi-automatic handgun. The popular rapper Black Walt was impressed by his fast rhyming Chopper style and felt it was like TEC-9 firing bullets.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube VEVO, and Myspace.
Featured Image by Mizery Made / Wikipedia / CC BY-SA 3.0