|Winona Ryder Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 29, 1971|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Winona Ryder is an American actress, producer, and voiceover artist who is known for her roles in movies like Little Women, The Age of Innocence, How to Make an American Quilt, Beetlejuice, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Girl, Interrupted, Lost Souls, Alien Resurrection, Star Trek, Black Swan, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, The House of the Spirits, Mermaids, Edward Scissorhands, Heathers, and Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael. In addition to that, she has also been cast in several shows in roles such as Joyce Byers in the Netflix sci-fi horror series Stranger Things, Mary Dyer/Peggy Shippen in the educational comedy show Drunk History, Evelyn Finkel in the HBO alternate history drama series The Plot Against America, and Vinni Restiano in the miniseries Show Me a Hero. Ryder has been honored with many accolades, including a Golden Globe Award, and has been nominated for at least two Academy Awards. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2000.
Winona Laura Horowitz
Olmsted County, Minnesota, United States
She attended Kenilworth Junior High School in Petaluma, California, but during her first week at school, she was bullied by fellow schoolmates. As a result, she left the school and turned to homeschool for that particular year.
In 1983, Ryder started attending San Francisco’s American Conservatory Theater and learned acting. In 1989, she finished her schooling and graduated from Petaluma High School with a 4.0 GPA.
Actress, Producer, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Michael Horowitz (Author, editor, publisher, and antiquarian bookseller)
- Mother – Cynthia Palmer (née Istas) (Author, editor, and video producer)
- Siblings – Uri Horowitz (Younger Brother), Jubal Palmer (Older Half-Brother), Sunyata Palmer (Older Half-Sister)
- Others – Sol Horowitz (Paternal Grandfather), Ethel Frankel (Paternal Grandmother), Everett Frank Istas (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret Newman (Maternal Grandmother)
She has been signed with Anonymous Content, Talent Management Company, Culver City, California, United States.
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
52 kg or 115 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Winona Ryder has dated –
- Rob Lowe (1986-1988) – Actors Rob Lowe and Winona Ryder met on the set of Square Dance. At that time, Winona was 13 years old and Rob was 21.
- Christian Slater (1988) – The actors dated for a couple of months in 1988 after meeting on the set of “Heathers”.
- Robert Downey Jr. (1988) – The actors were RUMORed to have had a fling in 1988.
- Johnny Depp (1989-1993) – Ryder started dating actor Johnny Depp in August 1989 after meeting him in June 1989 at Great Balls of Fire! premiere. They engaged in July 1990. She treats Johnny as her first real boyfriend as she spent fun time with him. He was her first real kiss, the first person with whom she had s*x, and her first fiancé. They called off their engagement after three years in July 1993.
- Gary Oldman (1992) – She met English actor Gary Oldman on the set of the 1992 movie “Dracula” and was RUMORed to have had a fling with him.
- Evan Dando (1993) – On the set of the 1994 movie “Reality Bites”, Winona met musician Evan Dando and had an encounter with him in 1993.
- Chris Isaak (1993) – She went on a date with singer Chris Isaak in 1993 at Disneyland. They went on to see the laser show “Fantasmic.” But, they were asked to leave the show halfway as they were getting sexually more close. They had an encounter in 1993.
- Dave Pirner (1993-1996) – From 1993 to 1996, she was romantically linked to rock band Soul Asylum frontman, Dave Pirner.
- Adam Duritz (1995) – Another singer, Adam Duritz was RUMORed to have had a fling with Winona nearing 1995.
- Dodi Fayed (1995) – Egyptian socialite Dodi Fayed and Winona were RUMORed to be dating in 1995.
- Daniel Day-Lewis (1996) – In 1996, she was RUMORed to have had a fling with British actor Daniel Day-Lewis.
- David Duchovny (1996) – In 1996, she had an encounter with actor David Duchovny.
- David Grohl (1997) – In 1997, she was RUMORed to have had a fling with musician David Grohl.
- Jay Kay (1997) – In 1997, English singer Jay Kay had an encounter with Ryder.
- Stephan Jenkins (1997) – She had a fling with musician Stephan Jenkins in 1997.
- Matt Damon (1997-2000) – Actor Matt Damon and Winona Ryder were an item from December 1997 to August 2000. They met via Gwyneth Paltrow and were described as Hollywood’s It Couple by People Magazine.
- Jimmy Fallon (2000) – In 2000, she had a fling with comedian and TV host Jimmy Fallon.
- Beck (2000) – She briefly dated another musician Beck for a couple of months in 2000.
- Chris Noth (2000) – In 2000, Ryder was RUMORed to be dating “S*x and the City” star Chris Noth.
- Pete Yorn (2001) – The New Jersey rocker, Pete Yorn had a fling with her in 2001.
- Page Hamilton (2003) – Another musician Page Hamilton was RUMORed to have dated Winona in 2003.
- Conor Oberst (2003) – This time, she hooked up with her 8-year junior singer, Conor Oberst in April-May 2003.
- Tre Cool (2005) – Green Day drummer Tre Cool and Winona were RUMORed to have had a fling in 2005.
- Val Kilmer (2005) – Actor Val Kilmer and Ryder dated in the last 2 months of 2005.
- Henry Alex Rubin (2006) – In 2006, she dated filmmaker Henry Alex Rubin shortly.
- Blake Soper (2007-2008) – Guitarist Blake Soper was romantically linked to Ryder from January 2007 until August 2008.
- Keanu Reeves (2008) – Ryder was RUMORed to be dating Canadian actor, Keanu Reeves in 2008.
- Tom Green (2008) – Nearing August-September 2008, Canadian talk-show host Tom Green and Winona were spotted having dinner together. Some sources claimed them to be dating, but no confirmations ever came from either party.
- James Gooding (2008) – In 2008, she was RUMORed to have had a fling with the British model, James Gooding.
- Scott Mackinlay Hahn (2011-Present) – Since late 2011, the actress is dating fashion designer Scott Mackinlay Hahn.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry on her father’s side and is of Belgian/Walloon, English, German, Irish, and Swedish descent on her mother’s side.
She is naturally “Blonde” but likes to dye her hair brown.
- Large brown eyes
- Petite figure
- Demure demeanor
36-24-35 in or 91.5-61-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
7 (US) or 4.5 (UK) or 37.5 (EU)
Rag & Bone AW14 ad campaign.
She appeared in a Shoplifting commercial in 2008, a cafe latte ad in 1999, a Japanese commercial for Subaru Impreza car, and many others.
Alongside Timothée Chalamet, she was seen in the Cadillac 2021 Super Bowl commercial.
Winona describes herself as Jewish. Winona’s dad is an atheist and her mother is a Buddhist. Her dad’s family is though mostly Jewish.
Best Known For
Appearing in films such as Heathers (1988), Mermaids (1990), The Age of Innocence (1993), Little Women (1994), and others.
Winona debuted with the 1986 American teen tragicomedy film Lucas for her role as Rina.
First TV Show
In 1994, Ryder guest appeared in the animated sitcom The Simpsons for her role as Allison Taylor in an episode titled “Lisa’s Rival”.
The actress is a healthy eater. She eats mostly healthy food. Fruits and veggies salad is one of the best-balanced diets which provides us with nutrients like fiber, protein, carbs, vitamins, etc. She drinks lots of water to stay hydrated and keep her skin fresh. This is her anti-aging secret too.
Winona Ryder Favorite Things
- Food – Oriental-flavored Ramen noodles
- Book – The Catcher in the Rye (By J.D. Salinger)
- Actress – Barbara Stanwyck
- Band – The Replacements
Source – IMDb, People.com
Winona Ryder Facts
- Ryder was named after a nearby city named Winona, which is in Minnesota.
- She has a middle name “Laura” due to her parents’ friendship with an Italian-American musician and author.
- She also got her stage name “Winona Ryder” from a personality named Mitch Ryder, soul and rock singer. Her dad is also a big fan of Mitch.
- Psychedelic guru Dr. Timothy Leary is her godfather.
- Her dad changed the last name from “Tomchin” to “Horowitz” after emigrating from Russia to America.
- She is afraid of water (also known as aquaphobia) because of a near-drowning experience at the age of 12.
- In July 2014, French pop band Bonjour Gaston released a song in her name titled “Winona FTW “.
- She was born at 11:00 am CDT.
- To promote the Manhattan chain of stores, she helped Italian fashion designer, Giorgio Armani.
- In the 1998 movie Celebrity, she played the role of Nola, which was originally written for Drew Barrymore.
- Winona started her own music company Roustabout Studios in late 1999.
- She was offered the role of Alice Sutton in Conspiracy Theory (1997). But, due to her busy schedule and scheduling conflicts, the role went to Julia Roberts.
- For the 1999 film, she turned down the role of Katrina in Sleepy Hollow. It finally went to Christina Ricci.
- In 2016, she started appearing as Joyce Byers, the mother of Will and Jonathan Byers, in Stranger Things. She co-starred in the show alongside David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Sadie Sink, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Joe Keery, Cara Buono, and Dacre Montgomery. Her salary per episode for the show was $350,000.